Friday, October 11, 2013

I just went through my Rosetta Stone lesson. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I chose to tryout level 1 Portuguese. I chose Portuguese because I have a few Brazilian friends and I was curious about their language. The instruction was challenging and fast-pace. The multi-media usage was not as creative as in other instructional language learning videos I have seen. However, part of what I enjoyed so much about the lesson was that I was simple and clear. There were photos, computer teacher, voice recognition, and matching quizzes to test comprehension. As the program continued, I felt like each word learned was incorporated and built-apon in a creative fashion. I would say this program, while lacks multiple multi-media material development that we are learning, it is effective in that the lesson is clear and to the point for students. I felt as if I was picking up quickly on the language and able to connect the photos with the speaker. So listening and identification skills were refined. The one area of Rosetta Stone that was really noticeably lacking was the pronunciation of words. The speaker had a thick accent, which is realistic, but there were times where I was way off in pronunciation with little direction on how to say the word, besides repeating what I hear. Essentially, this is how most every human learns language, through listening, repeating, repetition. I would suggest adding in a visual of how to say the words correctly and slow the speaker down enough to catch the enunciations in the words. This would allow a more efficient speaker because I just didn't think the voice recognition was really that accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment