Monday, December 16, 2013

Discussion on "Good" Language Learning



Consider the following scenario: you are teaching intermediate ESL writing to a group of twenty students--six and seventh graders from different first language backgrounds. They are interested in electronics and social media but not much else. Half of them have told you they hate English, or they hate writing, or they hate both. What strategies would you use to motivate them to learn?

Luckily, I have experience working with teenagers, and, I am all too familiar with this scenario. Teenagers these days are addicted to the internet, and it is not their fault. It is a sign of our, and, "their" times. So, instead of fighting their desire to participate in social media programs, I would find a way to make digital media useful, and instrumental in ELL. I would have them sign up for Twitter, and tweet, and connect with things they are interested in, in English.
I think social media is entertaining, interesting, and the reason why TESOL is in high demand for current and future generations. I think this would initiate more intrinsic motivation for student because they feel enjoyment, and can interact in English Also, I don't want students to hate English, and hate me, because teenagers look for anything to hate.
Also, I would promote internet games in the ESL classroom. I think the prizes and validation from the game challenge, will evoke extrinsic motivation.  To be sure, that all the student are not being totally sucked into the cyber world, I would limit internet use in the classroom. I could even use,  internet games access, as incentive, and a reward, to encourage students to work hard in class.


Some people are just not good at languages. Good language learners are born, not made. Language aptitude declines with age. I do not like, or agree with this comment.
I just interviewed a 32 year old, Brazilian, who did not begin speaking English, until she was 26. She is now, fluid and fluent, in speaking English. Her case shows that age does not effect a persons ability to acquire a second language. However, motivation does; she married her husband, who is American in 2004. Her Instrumental orientation to English, was falling in love with someone who speaks little of her native language. Her integrative orientation to English, was moving to the U.S. and submersing herself into an English community. She told me that, American's are very tolerant with speakers of another language, whereas, in Brazil, people are not as patient with newcomers. The tolerance of the American culture, was helpful and motivating to her L2 acquisition. 
So, the circumstances of the Russian, homemaker, and man in his twenties, are all capible of being a "good language learner," depending on motivation, intensity, quality, and effectiveness of their ELL course and their dedication. There are, of course, other factors that could hinder a persons L2 acquisition, such as, funding, previous educations, etc., but I think if someone is determined enough to totally submerse themselves into ELL, they will. 

2 comments:

  1. I suppose that the difference in newcomer tolerance depends on the individual. I know, personally, I am tolerant of foreign language speakers, even before I 9decided to go forth with TESOL education. So, yeah, I would hope someone would be patient with me with me in communication between language barriers. I, also, think that living in our globalized world, it is important to be patient with eachother.

    I think Twitter is a great sign of our times, I guess, I suggested using Twitter, because I think we haΩve to use student interest to our advantage. I know, I do not want to give students a reason to dislike my class- I think it is important to harness new age technology for our student interests. I think this will keep students' interested in English acquisition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you would use Second Life, because it was my first time using that program last course, and it was so mysterious and exciting. In my experience with second life, I felt very intrigued and curious about how it works.

    I think you are so smart for choosing a program that is tantalizing to student interests. In my post I suggested using Twitter, but I think Second Life would be ideal because we, as teachers, would have curriculum control over within the virtual classroom. I think 2nd Life would capture student interest and be a creative way to glamorize English learning. Teachers, have control over what is shared, who shares, guest speakers, and it would be something new and interesting for students, because they get to choose an avatar. Good thinking with your approach to student information gathering processes, because 2nd Life is a progressive, new-age system.

    ReplyDelete