Thursday, December 5, 2013

Reflection Paper: Language Learning Experience

          


 I studied Italian while I was abroad in Italy. I was 21 years old, completing independent, cross-cultural studies in interpersonal communications. This was, literally, an experience that reflects why I am passionate and interested in linguistic studies, today. Considering my post-critical age period of SLA, I was able to transfer and learn language forms and meaning, semantically, depending on pertinence, through verbal and non-verbal interactions, and with little grammar penology.
            The most interesting cross-cultural transfer I discovered during my L2 acquisition is the transfer of humor, i.e. jokes, laughter, and catching onto implicit meanings of another speaker, rather than, literal translations, during stages of SLA. This discovery of meta-linguistics, at beginning stages of L2 acquisition, at a post-critical age, really “speaks too,” a human’s ability to acclimate through cultural immersion. My study of interpersonal, cross-cultural communications and applied linguistics, leads me to the assumption; that post-pubescent humans, adapt to language, for survival, similarly to young infants adaptation of language for survival.
            This assumption, in my experience, comes from the universal need of our species to form relationships. Reflecting on the cases of The Wild Children, Genie and Victor, isolation from healthy family system structure, and no critical-period developments, or little to no interaction with any other humans, these post-pubescent children where able to adapt, quickly, to scientist and researchers who sought interest in their case. Through empirical evidence that we studied in our modules, we see that these children formed relationships, innately and without thought, through verbal and non-verbal interaction, (i.e. sounds, reactions, gestures,) which led directly to L1 acquisition.
            Similarly, babies will gesture, make sounds, and learn alternate ways to signal their needs to caretaker. For example, they will cry for milk. As they grow, caretaker will help infant substitute this cry, or signal for milk, with sign language, and later words. I can see that human needs are expressed in anyway that generates response. We can generate responses through our relationships with people around us. Another universal quality of humans, are we innately caretaker for other. I see that we generally want to help each other if we can, despite barriers, such as age, and language. That is what happened in Genie’s case, she began to learn alternative ways to signal her emotions and needs.

            I reference these cases above because I can relate this to my experience in learning a second language, abroad. In most cases, I was able to piece together what I already knew, to learn something that was vital to accomplishing what I need. For example, the one sentence, I used most was, “Como se dice,” pronounced, “se,” say, “dice,” dichAy. Pronunciation in Italian is a key element in expressing language in an understandable way. I was able to self-teach, because I have proper grammar and reading, education background. I did most self-taught acquisition through the Internet and reading. While in Italy, we had a translator for a majority of the trip. This was interesting because we did not focus on grammar techniques at all. Most phrases and useful L2 structures, where sentences that were situational fluencies,  i.e. market places, traveling, and self-expression to others. This acquisition is interesting because as a language learner in another country; having no formal grammar, syntax, or penology instruction, agrees with Wordhal’s semantic transfer theory. With no systematic instruction of grammar, I still naturally pieced together language meaning. What’s more, I was able to make sense of Italian jokes, based off of American and Italian stereotypes, funny gestures, and tonal changes. I received more error correction from locals, who would assist me in pronunciation, slowing down speech to give me time to translate, or facial queues that signaled misunderstandings. I think about Long’s Output Hypothesis, I do not think I would self-correct my errors, if it was not for language interactions, and striving to match more developed native speaker language. During this experience my affective filter was high. I have to admit; I felt pressure to speak to a standard that was not totally incomprehensible. Through each attempt to communicate with a native speaker, the more comfortable I became, thus lowering my affective filter.  This ties back to my original assumption that a person’s need to survive is easier with SLA, thus, there is more personal incentive to adapt to L2 rules. Survival comes from pertinent experiences, relationship formation, and language building techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment