Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Reflection on Freire's Third Letter to those who DARE teach

A.White
2/6/2015

Prep for TESOL Materials:

“But with responsibility, scientific preparations, and a taste for teaching, with seriousness and a testimony to the struggle of injustice, we can also contribute to the gradual transformation of learners into strong presences in the world,” Freire, p.62.
This except from Freire’s fourth letter rings very true to my experience in teaching. The classroom is an extension of home for students because students spend approx.. 30 hours each week at school. Teachers naturally develop relationships that calls for care and compassion for students, similar to parenting. Yet, we see many teachers who live modest lifestyles, and devote extra time and energy to meet student needs, despite being underpaid. I think the salary range reflects that education is undervalued, in comparison to other areas of US economic systems. We devote this time and energy to our students because I think we love our students, and want to see them succeed, and have opportunities in the world, and more than anything, to find joy in learning, and be empowered to interact, equally, in this world.

“It is obvious that the problems associated with education are not just pedagogical problems. They may also be political, ethical, and financial problems,” Freire, p. 67.
The challenge of being a teacher is baring the injustices, such as, funding, technology, and finding the time to stay up to date with education policy, politics, and legislation, that directly and indirectly affect our communities. There is so much to know, and as a teacher we are already concerned with meeting state standards, dealing with tight budgets, and developing curriculums. Writing this, I think, I do not know why I chose this career path, except this…I am truly motivated by the tiny breakthroughs and seeing that I am making a difference in a students life. I just moved to Denver, Co this past year, and I have some knowledge of the conflicts in our education system here. One reason I moved to Colorado is because I knew that this area was educationally progressive, more so than Charleston, SC. There, I was constantly stuck trying to be creative in my curriculums, but juggernauted by detached, and out-of-touch state regulations. Being involved in education ethics, and policy can be useful knowledge that will frustrate the hell out of you.


            Freire, P. (1998). Third Letter. In Teachers as cultural workers: Letters to those who dare teach (pp. 61-84). Boulder, Colo.: Westview Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment